As we age certain senses degenerate. At times age is not the main cause for hearing loss either. Use the following tips to prevent hearing loss and save yourself from unnecessary problems.
There are many reasons for losing the ability to hear. Although age was considered a prime reason for hearing loss, the increasing noise pollution is also endangering our ears. However, early identification of problems or even steps to protect your ears can minimize loss of hearing.
How to Prevent Hearing Loss?
· Prolonged exposure to noise: One of the main causes of hearing loss is continuous exposure to noise. It helps to reduce exposure time to such noise. Some of the most common sources of noise include electronic gadgets including television and music systems. Even as a parent, you should teach your children to watch television or listen to music at a safe level.
· Earplugs: These are great for hearing protection against various factors which could cause hearing loss. You can use earplugs when you are exposed to loud sounds or even when you are swimming to prevent contaminated water from affecting your ears. Even tasks such as mowing the lawn can damage your ears if the machine emanates a high level of noise.
· Loud noises: It has been proven that sudden exposure to loud noise can damage your hearing almost instantly. Hence, you need to be extremely careful when you are attending shows such as music concerts or other events where the noise levels are high. You should even avoid residing near factories and other places which make noise constantly.
· Prevent infection: Apart from noise, infection which spreads from your nose or throat could impact your hearing as well. You need to be extremely careful to avoid formation of pus or fluid in the ear cavity. Consult a specialist and take medicines to curb the spread of infection.
· Get tested: It is natural that one will experience the reduction of audio sensory after a certain age due to a number of reasons including genetic history, disease, and other factors. However, help is at hand in the form of various hearing aids. If you feel your hearing could be improved you should get tested and use professional guidance to determine the best option for your needs.
The loss of hearing used to be just associated with the elderly. However, today it affects youngsters as well. The main reason for this are the lifestyle changes related to exposure to loud music for long periods and noise-induced hearing loss due to the increasing use of gadgets and listening devices among others. There are a number of hearing tests which can determine the level of hearing loss you have.